05 July 2008

Winter in New Zealand


I have recovered (somewhat) from my previous post. I am still missing my family and all the things they are doing but I am okay. We have completed another term at school and we are off for a two week holiday. School is going well for me and for the kids. Abby is back taking ballet and playing the piano. Sammer is doing well at hockey, rugby and he is playing the guitar. For the next two weeks we will take a break from the routines we are establishing. I start teaching Tap after our two week break, I am especially looking forward to the ladies class that consists of about 10 teachers from school. I say that it is a ladies class but I think there may be a gentleman teacher as well.

Our holiday began with a trip to Queenstown today. We left the house at 6am to drive, what should have been a 2 hours trip, to head north. The weather was calling for heavy snow and gale winds, but heck, we are Canadians, we know how to handle winter driving right? The tyres (NZ spelling) here are not like Canadian tires and the Mazda had trouble and spun out leaving us stuck on the side of the road. 6 cars came along as we sat in our predicament and 6 cars stopped to offer help. Kiwis are good that way. A farmer pulled us out and we kept motoring along. Queenstown is beautiful and is very touristy. We took a Gondola ride up to a restaurant and lookout, it was amazing.

It is a little weird knowing that summer is happening at home. This weekend the Horton's are at Our Ponderosa and we had such a wonderful time last year, I can't help but wish I were there. I know that Mom and Dad, Ger, Nik and the boys, Hol, Scott, Hunter and Lil will be having a blast with Uncle Ted, Aunt Janet, Sharon, Doug, and boys, Cathy, Scott and kids. Abby will miss hanging with Sophie, they were so cute last year! Enjoy Ipperwash, I absolutely love it there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Such beautiful pics.

Anonymous said...

Your one snap of the road at the water's edge reminds us that they call that highway snaking along the lake to Queenstown "the Devil's Staircase". You were brave to drive it on such a stormy day. Glad you are safe and it was much better on your return. What a wonderful 6 months of new adventures you are experiencing! We are with our grandchildren in Minneapolis and it was 91 degrees yesterday. Now that is HOT!!!
e&f

Anonymous said...

mom and dad are rethinking a winter/summer visit....

It looks beautiful!