03 August 2008

Bungy Jumping

In the summer of 1991 I had two goals. One was to go parachuting the other to go bungy jumping. The last weekend in June of '91 I went parachuting and loved it. Two weeks later I was planning to go bungy jumping but there were a number of accidents and some deaths in the next couple of weeks at bungy jump sites across North America so I decided to wait. I didn't think I would wait 17 years but I did. When we ended up in NZ, the birthplace of bungy jumping, I decided that it was time to finally take the plunge.

On Saturday morning after Sam's rugby match we picked up the Canadian "gap year" student, Amanda - who has been working at Samantha's school for the past six months, and headed off to Queenstown. Amanda received a bungy jump as a parting gift from the school staff, she heads home to B.C. on Wednesday. Sam decided that he wanted to jump and we agreed that we would give that to him for his birthday. I would jump later when we were in Queenstown another time. As you'll notice from the pictures, Sam decided to wait to jump from another spot on his birthday and I jumped instead.

It was an incredible experience. The free fall seemed longer than I had imagined it would. It was definitely worth the wait. Enjoy the pictures and the video.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was amzaing and funny. Good for you. It was great to chat with you last night.

Anonymous said...

Another one for your "Bucket List", Dan! We have a small section of that durable bungy cord which we bought there. It was interesting to find it has a million little elastic bands bound together.
e&f

Anonymous said...

That looks so awesome!! Dan, you must be really brave to do that! It looked so fun. Nice pics and video Sam!!

Anonymous said...

Holy Crappers!!!
Holly

Anonymous said...

In stead of I belive I can fly he went UUUUUUOOOHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!! and plus it kinda sounded like he was Blowing chunks