16 March 2008

March 12 - 16, 2008

This week was an unusual one with the kids being away at Camp Bannockburn. They left Tuesday morning and did not return until Friday afternoon. As it was Abby's 8th birthday we thought it would be nice to drive up and surprise her mid way through the week. My Deputy Principal told me to take Wed. afternoon off and to go and see the kids at camp. Kiwis are different that way, they really encourage things like that. I would not have even asked to go and see the kids during work hours back home. The drive from Pukerau to Cromwell was amazing, however we took the 19 year old Honda, who did not appreciate having to climb the hills. She now has a rumble that she did not have before we left on our 2 hour journey. This week we will take her in to make sure she gets the attention she needs to run another few years for us.
Once we got to the camp we snuck into the kitchen to put Abby's cake in the fridge. Mrs. Watt was doing a lesson with the class in the adjoining room on irrigation. Once she let the kids out for free time Abby ran right passed us. She quickly came back to us and told us to meet her in the girls cabin she needed to tell us something in private. After sitting us down and showing us her bunk, she told us that being at camp has made it so she has friends now. She was elated and so were we. We stayed until they went to bed that night and it was wonderful. The parents that were chaperoning the trip were all Dads of students and they were fun and good to the kids. Sam has come home a fan of Guns and Roses...if I hear "Take me down to paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty, oh won't you please take me home, yeeahuh yeeahuh" I will scream! They had a great time and we feel that the learning over 4 days and 3 days was indescribable. The information they have about irrigation and sluicing machines and gold extraction and how they feel about their friend situation is a learning experience they will never forget.



Abby had a nice birthday, we gave her a digital camera and card making things. She is in the process of making thank you cards for people who sent her birthday presents. It is really cute. We are on Hannah Montana overload! Mom and Dad, Holly and Scott and Gerred and Nikki all gave her HM things and she LOVES them!
Pottery this week was good. I made a platter and pottery beads. They will need two weeks to dry properly. My pinch pots looked great and this week I get to glaze them. I had a go at the wheel and it was going really well. I had what looked like a pot. With one wrong move it no longer looked like a pot. My friend, Lisa got to work on the other wheel and she had Diane our teacher work with her. Lisa left the evening with a lovely gravy boat drying on the shelf. Perhaps the best part of the night came after pottery when Lisa and I stood on the corner of Coutts Rd and Robertson St. and chatted for another hour. I have picked up my own pottery wheel today as well as clay, so I will be able to practice at home now.
You will notice in the pictures below that we bought some second hand furniture for the living room. They are comfy, not beautiful and they clash horribly with our drapes. And I don't even care.



The weather continues to be nice. It was about 75 - 80 most of the weekend. Here in Southland, out of blue "southerlies" whip in bring high wind, rain and cool air with them. Then an a matter of minutes it is calm, warm and fresh outside again.
Till next time,
Samantha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those "southerlies" you wrote about make NZ not just green, but greener, maybe even greenest, in the most literal sense, cleaner than anywhere else in the world simply because the air continually blows away over the vast ocean. As the snow melts here we are getting into the dingy part of our seasons - no green, lots of dirty snow and mud. Savour the never ending greeness of all seasons down under!
e&f

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan and Sam: I love reading your blogs, I am so glad Abby has made friends. From having 2 girls of my own I know how difficult girlfriends can be and how many tears there can be over the years of growing up. It really sounds like a little piece of heaven where you are. Enjoy every moment of this adventure!

Anonymous said...

Camp sounded pretty fun!! Sneaking up to the camp would have been awesome! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!!

I'm happy Abby has made friends!! Way to go Abby!!

Hannah Montana is awesome! I'm glad Abby had an awesome birthday!

Samantha, I'm glad you are enjoying your pottery classes! Have fun!