02 March 2008

A quiet week...

This week has been a quiet one. The kids had Athletics Day (track ad field day) at a neighbouring school. As you may have guessed I Sam's strengths lay in throwing things like shot put and discus. He is built like his father and would rather throw things rather than run or jump. Abby, on the other hand did really well in the running races. Down here they run races in bare feet. She loved that. Dan got to spend the day with them, meeting new parents and the kids' friends.

Sam and Abby are getting ready to go to camp with their class for the week of March 11th- 14th. This is the first time that Abby will celebrate her birthday with classmates. Normally her birthday falls on March Break. They are looking forward to camp. I am not sure what I will do each night without them home.

Starting this week I will be taking a Pottery class. The High School offers community education classes and I am looking forward to this new hobby. They have a pottery wheel, which is what I wanted to learn. I will include pics of my school as some of the students wanted to see what I see each day. My office is not much to speak of. It is a small, dusty little room that I dump my stuff. It is located at the farthest corner of the D Block...they sometimes refer to the D Block as No Man's Land. Thank goodness for my friend, Greg. He comes to visit me from time to time. Greg's wife, Lisa is taking pottery classes with me. They are are young couple with 3 children. Greg has just started his teaching career and I am glad he is at school. He was also in the Cheese Rolling race with Dan. (ahead of Dan)

There was a Teacher Only day this passed Friday. The education system is really into Bloom`s taxonomy. The day was spent at The Lodge, a nice Golf and Country Club. We were able to work with our departments, I got to work with the English Department, specifically with the Head of the Department, Lianne. She and I worked on a unit for The Raven, a poem by Edgar Allan Poe. It was wonderful. I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed writing lesson plans. I left feeling inspired and like I can be creative in my lessons. A PA day that I left feeling creative and inspired...that has been a long time coming!

We have enjoyed a rainy, warm weekend. Autumn has arrived to New Zealand, our favourite season. We have done laundry, groceries, vacuuming, many emails and phone calls home. We have had a taste of what laundry in wet weather, without a dryer will be like. -two drying racks in front of windows loaded up with our skivvies- nothing fancy.

We are enjoying the comments and emails from everyone. There have only been a few moments of homesickness this week. Camping at the KOA this year with family, and the Ponderosa with The Hortons are two things that have been on my mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY!!!

Wow! I remember doing track and field day when I was younger- it was fun! Running in bare feet-- the only time I did that was at gymnastics.

That would be awesome going to camp with their class!! I hope they have fun!!

Pottery class sounds fun- I hope you enjoy it!! The foods room certainly does look like something off of a TV show as quoted from one the the previous posts!! WOW!! The foods class I'm in doesn't look nearly that nice!

Have an awesome autumn down there as we prepare for the spring and summer!!

Anonymous said...

Even a quiet week can be an adventure to those of us half way around the world...

Anonymous said...

We found it strange, NZ's speak English, yet, Dairy = variety store, cisps = potato chips, chips = fries, petrol = gas, teacher only day = professional development day, take away = take out, Athletic Day = Track and Field Day, pool = baths, etc.. Our culture shock in NZ came from things that looked identical when you first see them, but are subtly or entirely different on closer inspection. We (Canadians) had to keep remembering we were the aliens and must adapt to kiwi language and culture if we wanted to be understood. Enjoy your newfound vocabulary!

Anonymous said...

Your foods room kicks my foods rooms butt...what ya been cookin'?
Kim