16 May 2008

Samantha's ramblings

The kids got their progress reports this week. I have been quite impressed with their school and the education system here in New Zealand. There seems to be a good balance between academics and child development. Their reports came in the form of a binder split into sections for the different subjects. As there are 3 grades in one classroom each child is essentially working in their own program at the appropriate level. The kids are tested in reading, spelling, maths and thinking skills and accordingly put into programs at their levels. We are extremely pleased with their reports, both Abby and Sam are reading well above their age group, and exceeding expectations in all subjects. More importantly, we are thrilled with the "out of the classroom" opportunities the kids are getting. Pukerau Primary is an Enviro School, meaning that each Monday afternoon, with gumboots on, the students head outside and work on projects that help their school keep their Enviro School status. Sam's group has been building a composter out of tractor tyres (NZ spelling). Abby 's group is draining the worm farm and spreading the juice into their vegetable gardens. Many other activities are on the go too, building Nature Huts, Bird Houses, Vegetable Gardens, Plantation and the list goes on. The kids are building a composter in our backyard as well (our pigs are gone). Sam has taken to leaving the house earlier in the morning and he walks down to the bus hut. This allows him to get to school a half hour before school so he can play with his buddies. He is loving his group of friends. Abby prefers to be chauffeured to school in the morning by her Dad, but that is coming to an end. Starting next week she will be either taking the bus or riding her bike to school. Music lessons in school are going well too. Sam is loving the guitar still and has expressed an interest in drums too, Abby is enjoying the piano. Mrs. Watt, their teacher really knows the children, her comments in their reports show that she has spent time talking to them, knows their strengths and weaknesses and shows a caring but firm approach. This change has been very good for the kids.

Kids Growing Up

Every so often I notice something that the kids have done or are doing that makes me think that they are one stage closer to adulthood. Tuesday morning while getting ready for school, Dan was making lunches I was unloading the dishwasher when the smell of cologne wafted out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. I asked Dan if he spilled his cologne as he rarely wears it. It turns out that Sam has been applying Dan's cologne and Tuesday he got a little carried away - 4 squirts! One under each armpit, in addition to deodorant, one on his chest and one squirt on his head...like the top of his head. With stifled smiles we began investigating. He was wanting to smell nice and would like us to buy some AX spray ( which could be used as tear gas). We taught him the spray into the air and walk through the mist technique and now we can all breathe easy at breakfast. Also, the other day Sam had his homework in his backpack and he did not take it out to hand it in. Once he got home he realized that is was still in his backpack, he happily said, "I am going to bike down to the school to see if Mrs Watt is still at the school and hand in my homework". And off he went. Sam is happier here, he has less stress with school, he is accepted by his friends, appreciated by his teacher/principal and he is becoming a responsible young man. Now we work in his table manners!
The other day Gerred phoned and Abby answered the phone. If you know Gerred and Abby you know that they love to tease each other. Gerred began with "Abb EE Gale"....and it went on from there. I would say that I listened to her sass and wit for a couple of minutes before the phone got handed over. The first thing that Gerred said was "Abby is getting the accent". I have noticed this as well. She has gone from calling me Mommy to just MUM. Every time she calls me now it is MUM, I feel it in my chest, slightly to the left...a tightening. I wish and long for her to call me Mommy, but as the age of eight plays out before us the word Mommy is left with the memories of seven and younger. Okay, I know I sound like a senti"mental" fool. She is, however, picking up the accent. When she says YES, it is more like YEES. And she needed a pen this morning to write her order for the Snak N Tack, she said "I need a PEEN". She was the first one in the family to use the lingo freely like, I need to use the toilet (instead of bathroom) and pass me the tomAHto sauce (for ketchup), tomato with a short a sound. She is embracing the language differences and is loving hearing the way they talk here. We are enjoying watching the kids grow up in a less stressful, kid friendly, less TV, no video game, more outside, imaginative, easier atmosphere.

I went to the doctor yesterday morning to be told that I will have to be off for another two weeks with surgery booked the end of June. The ACL tear has made me knee very unstable, it feels wobbly like it will give out. I am walking better, with little pain but stairs are not possible yet. I am hoping to get a new knee brace from Physio soon which will give me support and will let me return to work.

I know that this weekend in Canada is the long weekend. We would be going to the KOA in Port Huron with family and friends if we were back home. This weekend has been in my mind since we moved here as I LOVE going to the KOA. Last Thanksgiving we stayed in a cabin at the KOA, Shawn and Tanya, Olivia and Cate were there, Kris and Emma came for the day, Mom and Dad, Ger and Nikki and the boys were there, Auntie Ida, Toydie and Courtney, Ron and MaryAnne, Deb and Jay, Dana, Jeff and the boys (Abby will miss riding bikes with Jaykob this year) we will miss all of you this year. I hope the weather is good, although some of my fondest memories include rain, cold, heaters, washing vomity bedding and clothes, puddles, sweatshirts and snuggling. The KOA is a MUST DO upon our arrival back home. Have a great weekend everyone!

This weekend for us consists of a Te Anau trip. We are driving to a cafe in Te Anau to catch a guided bus tour. We get off and hike ( a bit) and visit bird sanctuaries, and a wildlife park. Then we board a cruise and travel out to the Tasman Sea and we will finally get to see Milford Sound. Then we will return to go through the Glowworm Caves. We will take lots of photos and post them for you to see.

5 comments:

Kosmo said...

I'm in my 20s and I still use mommy. I also, until this winter, had all stuffed animals (my mommy made me get ride of them, said it was time to grow up...)

Anonymous said...

Is that your 1950's leg brace?? They should leave you at home! heehee!

Can I send Hunter to come live with you?
sees

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds good! Good luck with the upcoming surgery Samantha but I'm sure you'll post before then!

Hi Sammy, Abby, Melissa, Dan and Samantha!!

Anonymous said...

Now that is an update, love reading them.
KOA: I remember someone draining the aspargus and the lid slipping off and then looking to see if mom seen it and quickly picking it up off the grass. Tasted good anyways !!
Sound like thungs are going great for the kids,maybe should be an adventure everyone with kids does !!
Well we are having our usual May 2-4 weather, sunny, windy and rainy.
Take care, Sharon H

Anonymous said...

Hey, your blog brings back memories! We found it uncomfortable to ask directly to use the toilet when we were there. We soon learned that if we said we needed to use the bathroom or washroom we ended up in a room with a sink and NO toilet. It must be the Candaian politeness that makes us embarrassed when being so direct..but we had to get over that.
e&f