09 May 2008

Samantha's right knee

So, I have been nursing a sore right knee. The weekend that Abby and I went to the Mother-Daughter camp I was tackled during a friendly game of Flags. Both of my knees crunched to the left but the right knee immediately swelled up and has been sore. After 3 weeks of icing it and feeling no relief I decided to seek some help. Physiotherapy here in New Zealand is quite good and I was recommended a lady. She took me in and tried 4 weeks of strapping and ultra sounding the knee. She felt that she was not really making any difference and sent me for xrays. This past Wednesday I went for my x-rays with an appointment the Thursday at 4pm to see my doctor to read the x-rays. That went fine. Thursday at school my knee was swelling a fair bit and felt quite sore. At 1:30pm, just before my Foods class I went to go to the bathroom, turned sharply into the bathroom and my knee exploded. The pain was sickening and I couldn't put any weight on it. So I stood there, in the main corridor not knowing what to do. Luckily two staff members happened to hear my gasp from the next room and came to see what had happened. They dragged me out to her car and drove me to the hospital.
It turns out I have torn my right ACL and have torn cartilage in the right knee. I am off work for two weeks with an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon (an American). The idea of having to sit on my behind for two weeks makes me a little angry, but the pain that shoots into my leg when I do hobble around lets me know that this serious.
With Melissa here we have things planned like a Cadbury Factory tour tomorrow, followed by a Highlanders Rugby game in the evening. Then next weekend we have a full day booked starting in Te Anau by bus and Milford Sound by boat, then we are booked to explore the Glowworm caves in the evening. I don't know.
New Zealand has a wonderful accident claim agency called ACC which covers all and every accident. I have not paid for anything thus far. I am told that orthopedics and surgery is paid for, as well as my wages when I am not working. It just doesn't feel right starting a new job, loving the new job and then I have to be off work.
Until next time,
Samantha

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with the recovery... sending my empathy... ;(
xo Catherine

Anonymous said...

We were told the 2 best countries in the world to work in regarding medical care were NZ and Australia and the 2 most expensive were the U.S. and Switzerland. We found NZ's care more like Canada in the past - reasonable. Aren't you glad you chose NZ? Take care
of yourselves!
e&f

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need some R&R for that knee.
Hope all is well and take care of yourself !!
Sharon H

Anonymous said...

Not good to hear after you just get over your throat!! I'm currently getting over a pulled muscle in my calf. My injury doesn't even compare to yours Samantha!! Best wishes in your recovery!! Hi Abby, Sammy, Dan and Melissa!!!

Best Wishes!!