08 March 2009

Mountain Bike Race


I've always wanted to try mountain bike racing. Just after we arrived in New Zealand I bought a mountain bike, planning to do some training and enter a few races. Thirteen months later I finally entered my first race. The Meridian Energy White Hill Wind Farm Classic was Saturday afternoon in Mossburn about 90km from Pukerau. There were three options for the mountain bike race: a 22km full race, an 11km recreational ride and a 6km Kiddies Canter. There was also a 13km cross country run. There were over 500 participants. I entered the 11km recreational ride thinking it wise to ease into this new venture. Sam and Abby decided to give the Kiddies Canter a go. Samantha was our number one fan and our official race photographer.

It was hard. The 11km course started on a reasonable uphill grade which I was hoping would level off after the first bend. It didn't. The grade doubled and before long the mountain bike ride, became a mountain bike push. The majority of the riders proceeded to push their bikes for the next 4km. I guess they define recreational a little differently than I. It is especially discouraging to get passed by runners while pushing your bike. The only consolation was that I knew the second half of the race was going to be easier on the bike. 1 hour and 16 minutes after starting I crossed the finish line. I finished 20th in my category, 30th overall in the 11km race. I also finished behind at least one runner and two riders from the 22km race. I have a long way to go but was pleased with how things went.

Sam and Abby finshed their ride. They found some of their hills a little challenging but continued pushing away. Neither of them would say that they particularly enjoyed it but were pleased at the end. Sam finished 17th in his race and Abby placed fifth last. The great thing is that when we arrived in New Zealand, Abby refused to even ride her bike. She was still have traumatic memories of her mother running over her after a wipeout at Rondeau. To go from that to riding a 6km race is fantastic.

The kids and I are looking at entering a triathlon in two weeks and then the whole family may enter a duathlon in 4 weeks. We'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Sounds like a great week/weekend. Way to go everyone!
They sure don't have many hills like that in Lambton County. Makes for some tough but very effective training.

Anonymous said...

Your blog reminds us of the great outdoors in "God's Country". Also noted you're stoking up those coal fires to take the chill off. Our coal was stored inside the house by the back toilet/sink room. In the mornings there would be a thin layer of black coal dust all over the kitchen noted mostly on the tabletop. It often seemed colder inside than outside. Wonderful cake! Sam must have decorated it (using her new skills)for Abby's b-day. Keep writing we love to read about NZ!
e&f