22 March 2009

Triathlon



A few weeks back the kids entered a try-athlon. After they successfully completed it, I vowed that I would tackle one. I'm trying to develop an action habit so I picked a triathlon with a really easy short distance option that was just four weeks later and decided I would enter it if I felt I could complete it. It consisted of a 400 metre swim, 12km bike ride and a 4km run. Three weeks ago I started training by swimming laps for the first time in 17 years. It was as hard as I thought it might be and I really struggled the first week in the water, trying to do front-crawl for 20-30 minutes straight. I kept having to do a few lengths of breast stroke to rest my arms. Thankfully after 3 weeks I was able to swim 1.2km in 30 minutes. At the same time I started jogging, very slowly. I worked up to almost 4km but was concerned about how I would be able to run that far after swimming and biking. My other concern was that I would be using my mountain bike with big knobby tires through the city streets. I tried to find a road bike to use but was unsuccessful.

This triathlon also had a kids event(100m swim, 4km bike, 2km run) and Abby was keen to give it another go. Sam was nursing some sore ribs from a game at school so he sat this one out. Samantha is getting ready for a duathlon in a couple of weeks so played the role of photographer at this one. Abby had a great go and was finished before I had completed my bike leg. I did alright too. I can claim a first place finish in the short distance open division for men - I was the only one in that division! In the end the time didn't matter for me, it was about whether I could finish or not. I was pleased that I was able to jog the entire 4km and still stand up after I crossed the finish line. I am targeting a triathlon in 4 weeks time. I'll have to see how the training goes for this one. We are all doing the Wai Tri duathlon option in two weeks time. It should be fun.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Great work Dan and Abby.
It's great to have things like this to work towards.
You're setting an awesome example for your kids Dan.
Keep it real...

Anonymous said...

Way to go to both of you - and to sammy for playing a game that gets your ribs hurt - keep it up.