13 February 2008

Schneiders hotdogs and bedding...

Valentine's Day
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and New Zealanders do not celebrate this holiday. We have seen a few cards and paraphernalia but there is not the hype and no one does anything special on February 14th. We too have decided that it will not be a celebrated day in our lives this year. Instead I will think about my Grandma Grace who passed away on Valentine's Day. The picture of her holding me as a toddler made the trip and sits in the window ledge in our living room. Tomorrow I will think of her and wish that I had more time with her.

Me emotional??? No way!
I had an emotional last weekend. I was a little homesick, missing certain things. I was missing Schnieders hotdogs, Doritos, my parents, my seester, my Jane, Wayne, some staff friends at GBPS, my angelic students from GBPS, my bedding that are in a closet in Chatham, Mom and Dad's hot tub and bacon. (not in any particular order) I think that I was just anxious about a couple of classes at school here. Now that I have persevered, I feel better. Sam and Abby have had a few nights of sadness. They are so cute when they come out of their rooms and tell us that they feel funny. Mostly they miss their soft blankets and comforters that they used to have. It will be a real treat if we can get our bedding here. They have adjusted very well into their school, they get to pack their "togs" each day as when it gets hot outside they can play water games. That is pretty cool! Also when they go out for recess there are no teachers outside with them. The teachers open their doors and the kids just play and hangout. That is very different from Ontario.

Television in NZ
We got to see the season premier of LOST tonight. We did not have a TV until just the other day. A guy that Dan works with gave us a 14 inch TV and it sits on a box in the corner of the living room. It is nice because the kids watch a show then they go outside or to their rooms. Just this afternoon, Abby watched Hannah Montana then shut the tube off and was reading in her room. That is very different from Ontario.

This weekend
We plan to venture to Dunedin this weekend. Maybe catch a rugby game, go to the ocean, see some dolphins, penguins, seals and try some more NZ food. We have bought a second car, a Honda Accord, 1988 that has only 180000 kms. It will be good on gas which has gone down to $1.66/litre. I will drive it to work and back.

Thank you to everyone who comments on the blog and emails us. I check my email daily, several times, hoping to see new emails and comments. It helps us not to feel homesick and like we are still in the loop.

Till next time, Samantha

4 comments:

Fabricated Goddess said...

Love hearing about your adjustments. I think you guys are doing great. It seemed to take us a whole 6 months to adjust when we moved to Indonesia. Hang in there! Some day you'll be reminiscing about all the NZ things you miss. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everyone is well! About the emotional thing... as summer camp is coming up quick in Ontario, I'm going to miss you guys in the summer! It won't be the same, but I'm sure I'll adjust, and have JUST as much FUN!!

I don't watch TV that much anymore. I read more too.

I'm planning to start emailing you guys soon!

Anonymous said...

There wasn't any teacher on duty outside in my Japanese elementary schools either. k

Chris Kettleson said...

Man.
I so want to live in NZ..I jsut don't wanna move there.

Glad to hear things are so peachy...and Samantha, maybe you could take up quilting...then you would have nice soft quilts to sleep with.

Do they have Value Villages there...I'm dying for some blue pants.