03 February 2008

Two Weeks in New Zealand

Sam and Abby going to school...
Well it has been two weeks since we arrived in Pukerau. Things are going well and life is about to pick up speed. Until now the kids and I have been home, enjoying the summer here in NZ but tomorrow we will begin school. Sam and Abby are very excited to meet new Kiwi kids and make friends. They have met their teacher Mrs. Watt and they like her. She is also the principal of their small school. Dan will walk them to school in the morning and then they will take the bus home in the afternoon. They will probably walk to and from school until we get them bikes. Bikes are very pricey here so they will have to wait until we can find a "boot sale" (yard sale) with bikes. The walk to their school is beautiful. Dan will take pictures and we will post them tomorrow.

Samantha going to school...
I begin school tomorrow too. It is only year 9s tomorrow. The day begins with a Powhiri (pronounced po-free), that is a Maori welcome ceremony. The staff are singing this Maori song that begins with the translation "speak to me with the language of love". It is a very gentle song that sounds Hawaiian to me. The staff sing the song loudly and very beautifully. I have met with all the departments in which I will be teaching. I am spread over 4 departments now. Just this morning my principal approached me at church, and told me that I am now full time. He gave me another class. That is nice for us as now I will get a full time salary. More to come on the school days here in NZ.


We bought a car yesterday...
It was one of those moments that happen and you just feel good about it. While I was grocery shopping Dan and the kids were playing at a playground in Gore. Along the side of the playground there is street parking and people leave their cars parked with a sign in the window For Sale. Earlier that day we saw this Mazda sitting in a spot and drove right past it as it was obviously not in the "jalopy price range". Dan strolls over to the car to see how much they owner was asking for the car and he was surprised to see it was in our range. We called the number right away and the man and his family came right over. After we were invited in to his house and met his family, chatted it up, now we are owners of a 1993 Mazda 626 (for a great price!).

We are really enjoying the comments and emails, keep them coming! It does not feel like we are on the other side of the world.

4 comments:

Fabricated Goddess said...

Looks like you are settling in. I'm loving looking at your pictures and imagining you there. Thanks for posting these awesome details...I feel like I'm peeking on a window of your life.

Hope you aren't too homesick!

Anonymous said...

Wow things sure look beautiful there. Nice car, bet it feels good to have one of your own !!
Doug and I were enjoying your updates last night, still say it takes alot of gutts to leave everyone and everything that is so close to you. Many people would be unable to do that so our hats are off to you guys for follwoing your dreams !!
The Hind Family

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see things are going well for all of you. I have really enjoyed reading your blogs and love the fact that you have decided to tackle a new challenge on another continent...
Hope the first week of school goes well.
Julie H.

Anonymous said...

Pictures are lovely!

I'm sad you didn't get a trcar!

sees