11 July 2009

Mom and Dad leave NZ, 33 days left for us



Mom and Dad left this week after a wonderful 3 week visit. It was cold while they were here but we had a great time anyway. A few of the highlights for me were Dad and Sammy skating together at the Gore Arena while Dano and I did our concession booth volunteer time. It was so nice to see the Sams skating around, playing together on the ice. Another favourite thing was realizing that every time Mom or Dad was sitting still on a couch or chair one or both kids were directly beside them, leaning on them or sitting on them. I guess they were making up for lost time. Also Mom and Dad played Pepper with Dano and I most nights. At first the men would beat Mom and I every time. Mom would get frustrated and call Dad and Dan names. Dad would find places to hang the score sheets around the house which ticked Mom off. It was funny. By the end of the trip Mom and I won two nights in a row. A beautiful way to end the trip.

Unfortunately at the end of their first week here Abby came home with the flu and was in bed with fever, coughing, vomit and all the delightful ailments that come with the flu. I then came down with it too. Mom and Dad tried not to get it, Dad spent most of the time that week with his sweat shirt pulled up over his face so he had a filter to breath through. We joked about getting surgical masks which maybe we should have done as both Mom and Dad had a day of chills, aches. Mom is a walking pharmacy so she immediately started popping her pills while Dad stuck to his Fisherman's Friends. Being sick did not stop us from seeing places and walking around New Zealand.

We rented a 12 seater van from our church and took Mom and Dad to the airport in Dunedin. We needed the space so that they could take back 3 extra pieces of luggage for us. Now that they are gone it feels like the end for us. The day after they left the kids brought out our luggage and began sorting through their clothes. Sambo and Reena joked that they were taking the kids home with them and that Dano and I would follow in 35 days. Sammy was ready to go with them. He is ready. His room is packed up, his toys sorted and everything of his fits into two pieces of luggage. Abby is a different story, she needs to say official goodbyes to her friends and teachers. Her room is completely pulled apart and she is having a harder time sorting through her stuff. She takes her time with these things. We have not even talked about her stuffed animals yet, but I fear that she would rather part with clothes instead of her animals. As for me, I am very happy to return home with two suitcases of my stuff. I have clothes that made the trip that will not return with me. Things like bedding and shoes and bags are my things that take top priority. I cannot live without my brown micro fleece blanket that keeps me warm each night.

This afternoon I talked to our new land lady. She is an English lady that came to Canada with 9 suitcases and 3 kids. She has been so kind to us and keeps saying that she knows what it is like to start over with nothing. She has arranged for there to be 2 single beds for our kids, there are plates, glasses, cutlery, couches, a sectional in the basement and a pullout couch. We have been so fortunate that people have been offering to give us things that they do not need anymore. It is so wonderful to know that we are coming home to a house that will have the necessities. Thanks to everyone that has helped us out!

1 comment:

Jules said...

I have some extra stuff sitting around the house. I will take a look to see what all there is and let you know. I know there is an extra set of pots and pans, I'll see what else.
Let me know if you need any of it.

I would love to meet up with you all once you are back and settled.

Cheers
Julie